My Publication

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

My Publication

I cannot stress enough the importance of a good critique partner. This person will be your other set of eyes. One that can see all the bad points that you've missed in your ms. I had a great lady as mine for a number of years. We have both moved on to other things now, but we still keep in touch. Two years ago I joined a critique circle. A wonderful place where you can put your unpublished work up for other people to critique. Much of the information from these like minded people made the publication of my first novel, Two Journeys One Path, possible. I now have two people who critique my work, but I also value their friendship. I met one of my partners at my first book sign. I'll tell you about that later.

I first submitted Two Journeys One Path to Harlequin. But it was rejected on the grounds of a triangle in the storyline they didn't like. I did like it and rather than change it, I submitted it to New Age Dimensions Inc.

A few weeks later I was in the kitchen cooking dinner when the telephone rang. My daughter said "Mum there is an Indian lady on the phone for you." As I mashed the potatoes with one hand I propped the phone to my ear with my shoulder and said hello. The hi Margaret, which came back was not Indian, but American. Here is how the strange conversation went.
Me. Hello can I help you.
Publisher. Yes, I think you can. I'm from New Age Dimensions Publishing.
Me. Oh right. (I had no idea who they were)
Publisher. I've received your Novel Two Journeys One Path and would like to offer you a publishing contract.

As those words penetrated the cotton wool padding of my brain, the phone slipped, sinking into the fluffy depths of the potatoes. My breath came out in a startled gasp as I dived into the mash to rescue it. Pulling it out, I placed it on my ear and with the potatoe burning my lobes, I thanked her very much and the rest of the conversation became a blur. All I could think was, I've done it. After all these years of trying, I was being published. Of course, no one got their diner that night. I was too busy on the phone calling everyone I knew.

1 Comments:

At 1:54 AM, Blogger Olga-Lita said...

Margaret!
This is a truly wonderful CALL story, and I'm so glad you've made it. Two Journeys One Path is a great book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home