My Publication

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Publication

Hello, welcome to my blog. Dreams do come true? How many times have we heard that tired cliche'? But in my experience they sometimes do. For twenty years I've wanted to write a novel. What got in the way? Life. Two children, a mortgage and then a divorce. It really did hamper things. While I was working for Eon Productions, (The James Bond Movie makers) I observed how the scriptwrites threw themselves in to actually becoming the characters they were creating. I watched them grow from erratic scribbles on a notebook, to fully fleged characters, each with their own individual voices. It was truly amazing to watch. It was there I wrote my first full length novel 'Endless love' a paranormal romance. Typed at work, between everything else that went on, it never really saw the light of day. It now sits on my computor and one day I'll get around to pulling it from the dust and revamping it Ten years ago I actually sat down and began writing seriously. Because I owned a Nail and Beauty salon, I was asked to become an online Beauty consultant. Being on the net allowed me to surf sites to do with writing. I became addicted to writing competitions. I fired off many short stories, but never actually got anywhere. I was so dissapointed. What was I doing wrong? Then I discovered, quite by chance, there was a certain way to write. What way, you ask? It's called having a voice. Your characters are created from imagination. These need to be given life. To do this you need to give them a voice. Not the, he said, she said, scenario, but actual conciousness. When they hurt, so does the reader. When your characters are happy, so is the reader.You have to find away to draw the reader in to this make believe world, let them bond with your characters so much that they are worried if one gets hurt, upset if you kill another off (depending on your genre) thus creating a page turner. I have also learn't to leave each chapter with an element of doubt. So the reader has to turn the page to see what happens next. It took me a long time to learn these small facts, but my efforts were rewarded tenfold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home